History of St Paul's Samford

An Anglican presence in Samford was established with the construction of the first St Paul's Church on the present site in 1924, by the Anglican families in the Samford and surrounding areas.

  • Half an acre of land was purchased in September 1922 from Mr Cash for the sum of £40.
  • The first service was held in Samford on Sunday 30th December 1923, possibly in the Farmer's Hall.
  • The tender of £275 for the erection of the timber church building was accepted in April 1924 and the foundation stone was laid on 28th June 1924.
  • St Paul's was dedicated by Bishop Le Fanu on Sunday 31st August 1924.  At that time, the Samford Valley was a rural area with dairy farming and timber as its main industries.
  • For the next 66 years, St Paul's was a rural outpost of the Grovely Parish, and church services were conducted by visiting priests or retired clergy living in the area.
  • The present church building was originally constructed in 1902 at 67 Samford Road Alderley and dedicated to St Mary the Virgin. In 1922 it was moved to the corner of Camborne Street and Glenalva Terrace, Alderley.  The Sanctuary was added in 1958.
  • With the sale of the Camborne Street site in October 1988, this building was generously gifted by the Parish of Enoggera to the Parish of Grovely and removed to Samford.  The original St Paul's Church was retained on the site and converted to use as a hall.
  • St Mary's building was rededicated as St Paul's, Samford on Wednesday 21st December 1988, the feast of St Thomas, Apostle and Martyr, by +John Grindrod, Archbishop of Brisbane and Primate of Australia.
  • Samford became a Provisional Parish in 1990 and has supported a part-time stipended ministry since that time until 2009 when it acquired it's first full time Priest. The Rectory was acquired by the Diocese in 1991.
  • Something unusual: Our current St Paul's has been dedicated to two different saints during it's history.  A small side chapel has been has been established and dedicated to St Mary in honour of the church's history.